Why didn’t anyone tell me this show was so freakin’ good? Last month, I started watching the first season on Netflix and I’ve been hooked ever since. Currently I’m in the middle of season 3, I’m a little behind because season 2 was crazy. Man, I just could not power through it like I did with season 1. I blame it on the murder (huh?) and Coach Taylor not coaching the Panthers. Season 3 is better but I really wish they didn’t bring that kid from Peter Pan on, he’s a poor man’s Zac Efron and is messing up everything. What’s really weird about my fascination with this show is that I don’t really know or care about football at all in my regular life. Seriously, during this year’s Super Bowl, I sat in my friend’s apartment, ate buffalo wings and played about 4 hours of Angry Birds (with a couple of pauses to watch the halftime show and a little bit of the Puppy Bowl). But this is a show all about football and I don’t really get what’ s going on in some of the game sequences but whatever. It’s just so addicting and the characters make me smile and cry. Let’s just talk about the five ways this show has sucked me in:
1. Tim Riggins. I love you Taylor Kitsch/Tim Riggins. He’s a bad boy with a heart of gold. Who doesn’t love that kind of guy? He has some pretty comedic moments and his hair is always flawless.
2. Matt Saracen. In theory, Tim Riggins would be my man, but in practice (and reality), I’m always gonna love the Matt Saracen-type more. He’s just so sweet and vulnerable. He takes care of his grandma! He’s really grown up and polite. Julie is such a bitch for treating him terribly. I would never break up with him for a Swede who drives a gross minivan and smokes a lot of weed.
3. Eric Taylor and Tami Taylor (a.k.a. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton). Sometimes I actually believe these two actors are married in real life. Their chemistry is that good. Tami is just such a supportive and strong woman. Coach Taylor is tough but so wise. Can they be my life mentors in real life?
4. Texas. Oh, so that’s what it’s like to grow up in a small-town. And man their accents are great, right? TEXAS FOREVER.
5. Football. Yeah, I know, I don’t really care about football in real life, but this show gives me a glimpse at the high school experience I never had. You see, I went to an all-girls’ Catholic school. Sure, we would go to football games at our brother school nearby, but my high school life wasn’t exactly normal.